Skip to main content

Driveway Butte Trail - Highway 20 North Cascades


























What a week....with the weather turning extremely hot, our phone lines at work were jumping with calls from folks roasting because their air conditioners decided to stop working for them....Man what long busy busy week.....and to top all that off I had to catch a cold or some kind of nasty flu right in the middle of it that almost put me out of commission......but we are on the mend.....so last weekend...seems so long ago.....a nice beautiful blue sky weekend we ventured up the highway to Driveway Butte trail......the trail head starts in the Klipchuck campground area....lovely campground....started off the morning fairly warm but not to hot.....we didn't get too far up the mountain and I knew I was in trouble with my shoes.....blisters.....the trail is a pretty good incline all the way up.....so we stopped and I put on sock liners and we continued.....it wasn't looking to good for my feet.....made another stop or two to change socks, lace shoes differently.....nothing was helping and we still had miles to go....the sign at the bottom says 4 miles to the top......I was ready to turn around at the first peep from any of my fellow hikers.....but we trudged on....I was in misery.....by the time we hit the burn area at about the two and half mile mark we parked it for lunch....I pulled my boots off and rested my feet....the views on the way op were fantastic of the mountains looking up towards the North Cascades.....clear sky's.....the farther you climbed the more mountains came into view.....the Ponderous pines had very bright orange bark....the were gorgeous.....there is some very old trees on this dry hillside.....we were just a little early for the balsam root show....a few here and there blooming....I am sure after this heat wave they are pushing big time.....there was a verity of flowers blooming here and there across the face of the hill.....it seems a long ways up from the highway that you can see as you hike the switchbacks at a steady incline.....after a nice leisure lunch in the shade at the edge of the snow line we took a vote and decided to head back down....the steady breeze is the only thing coming and going that made the temperature fairly pleasant....a steady pace down the hill made for some serious pain in the legs for the next few days....I can't complain too much I was the smart one that picked the trail....I think I paid for my choice....coming down didn't seem to cause me as much trouble on my heels as the going up part.....My nephew said he would do it again....I about fell over.....The trail does provide nice views.....I can see that it would be a pretty spectacular show once the balsam roots are in bloom and other flowers....I think I would try it with a different pair of boots next time......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Echo Basin, Eastern Washington

Echo Basin was our last early spring hike in the Eastern Washington area. We were planning to hike the Frenchman Coulee side that heads toward the waterfall but changed our mind due to the amount of cars parked at the trail head. So down the road just a little ways we went to hike the Echo Basin trail. Even with a early start the sun was way too bright, not hot, just bright. We hiked up the jeep trail that starts on the left hand side of the road as your facing the Columbia River. Didn't seem like a real exciting trail till we reached the sand dunes, which put us closer to the rock walls. Up and over the sand dunes and on up a goat trail to get above the walls. Without really knowing were we were going we just winged it. Lots of faint trails and trails in the sand, hard to know which was the true trail. The rock walls are huge and fascinating, the columns are even more interesting up close. We hiked until we had a view looking down into Echo Basin, and a nice look at th

Cutthroat Trail.......Snowshoeing North Cascades Highway

I have a confession to make, I have been having some winter blues. Not sure if they can be officially called winter blues due to we have had little to no winter. I have been very impatiently waiting for the snow to arrive, it comes, blows through, makes the ground white, then its gone. The last few days we have been sitting at temperatures in the 40's. What is up with winter. One thing I can say for sure is I am very thankful for the few trips we made up highway 20 before the silver star gate was closed. Our trip to Cutthroat Trail was back in November, when we had visions of winter coming to the valley very soon. The snow was nice and fluffy and deep. Pleasant day to get out and enjoy it, one of those days where your not sure if the clouds where going to allow the blue sky to show it self or not. We parked right off the highway with a couple of other cars and Snowshoed up the road to the trail head. Wasn't very long and more hikers, cross country skiers, and furry

Looking For Mountain Views....................

Since I couldn't get anybody to go snowshoeing with me this last weekend....I went on a drive and took pictures.....It was a lovely day...lots of variation in the clouds...started down on the Columbia River in Pateros and continued on down towards Chelan...stopped at the park...which has a great view of the mountains...then on up around Manson...drove as many roads as I could looking for the best view of the mountains....drove a couple of roads I have never been on....what a festive little town Manson is right now....Drove on up towards Echo Ridge trail area...roads got a little on the icy side up in that area....then found my way back home....now I have a camera card or two loaded with pictures...plus basketball pictures.....lots of computer time...The season is moving right along...lots of new snow in the mountains...Can't wait to get out there and play.